For one 700g pudding you will need:
75g Self-raising flour
75g Shredded suet (this can be swapped for veggie suet if desired)
75g White breadcrumbs
75g Soft, dark brown sugar
1/3 tsp Salt
½ tsp Ground Allspice
40g Chopped mixed candied peel
40g Glacé cherries
½ Small carrot, peeled & grated
½ Small apple, peeled & grated
2 Eggs, beaten
Zest & Juice of ½ an Orange
Zest & Juice of ½ a Lemon
100ml Guinness (or other stout)
2-pint pudding basin
- Grease the pudding basin.
- Mix the dry ingredients and the dried fruit together in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the salt and spice along with the candied peel, cherries, grated carrot and the apple.
- In a separate bowl whisk the eggs, citrus juice, zest and Guinness together.
- Add this liquid to the dry ingredients until it softly drops from the spoon.
- Add more Guinness if it needs loosening.
- Pour the mixture into the pudding basin ensuring there is a 5cm gap at the top of the basin to allow for rise.
- Cover the basin in tin foil, baking parchment or any heat safe wrapping and place in a saucepan of boiling water.
- Place a lid on the saucepan and boil for 7 hours, topping up the water as necessary.
- Cover with fresh greaseproof or muslin and store in a cool dry place.
- On Christmas Day or whenever you choose to tuck in, simply steam for a further 3 hours and enjoy!